Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Letter #26- "The Spirit of God like a fire is spread."

So this week´s title is taken from a cd I think that is entitled "Joseph." It´s a tribute to Joseph and the men and women who were a part of the Restoration! It is amazing! I love it. It is really great! I really enjoy it!
So this week has been great! We had a goal in our district to work harder and double our efforts. This week we doubled the amount of contacts we did and we doubled the lessons we taught. We found 3 really awesome people who we are helping prepare for baptism. When we started teaching one about Joseph Smith and about how he had a question about Which church was true, She said, "Elder Askins, I was just praying today about which church was true." The Lord really does prepare people, we just have to find them.
We are working a lot with the members. They sure do love us. As I explained in an earlier email, I have taken the nickname of "Bahiana." hahahaa It´s pretty funny.
The gift of tongues is real! Let me tell you a wonderful experience that happened to me!  SO last Wednesday we were informed that we were to speak in Sacrament meeting. We got to arrange who would speak and it was about missionary work. So we picked a returned sister missionary to speak, a sister who was preparing to leave, the Ward Mission leader, and Elder Paiva and I. Bishop asked me to be the concluding speaker. BUT when we showed up to church the returned sister missionary couldn´t make and the Ward Mission Leader said he wasn´t going to speak. so that left like 45 minutes to the sister preparing, Elder Paiva and me. The sister had prepared a 3 minute talk. She spoke for 5. Elder Paiva spoke for about 15 minutes. We sang a hymn. All and all, it left me with 30 minutes of speaking. In Portuguese with about 2 minutes of notes I had taken. Before church started bishop said, "Oh Elder Askins, You have a lot to teach us today!?" I said "I HOPE SO".
So with a HUGE prayer in my heart, I started speaking. It was the best talk I have ever given. I spoke for the 30 minutes and I had to cut my thoughts short because of the time. It was a wonderful experience. The words just came to me. I spoke perfectly. It was amazing to feel the Spirit speak through me. Wow.
Another funny experience, this one is for everyone, but I know Audrey will think this is cool. So I have started a habit (accidentially) of talking in my sleep. My companion says I will wake him up in the middle of the night teaching. I will be speaking in Portuguese and then switch to English and then back to Portuguese. At first I didn´t believe him, but a few mornings ago we had this conversation:
Elder Paiva: Who is ´so and so´?
Me: How do you know I know a ´so and so´?
Elder Paiva: You were talking about them in your sleep last night. I understood only a part. you were switching from english to portuguese."
I never talked with him about this person before. hahahaha  How funny is that!
So we are working really hard here. The work is going great, and just so you know I joined the dark side. I bought crocks. hahahahaha they are red.
I love you all so much! I hope that everything back home is going great! I love you all so much!
Happy Halloween, Dia dos Mortos, e My seventh month mark!
I love you!
Com Amor!
-Elder Askins

No comments:

Post a Comment