Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Letter #12- Hello, Again. Hello. Just called to say... Hello.

dear family!
It´s been another wonderful week here in Brazil! Here are some updates: USA is out of the World Cup. I am very sad because I would have loved to win the cup. When we went to church on Sunday, we walked into priesthood, they literally stopped the meeting and started clapping and laughing and saying Guanna!!! (They are who beat us). They live for soccer here. LIVE for it. A few days ago, Brazil played Chile (here we say Shil-lee) and the stores were almost ALL closed! Literally everything, except for a few stores, and they had the game playing. It was hard to teach lessons that day because NO one wanted to leave their tv. But when the game was over, they all came out and partied in the streets and it was pretty funny. 
 
The work is going so great here! The Lord is blessing the people in Timbu. We have quite a few investigators. First, this week, Elder Savage taught me how to (in Portuguese) invite someone to be baptized. So after I learned how he told me I was going to invite Jezley (I don´t know how to spell it, so that´s how you say it and how it would be spelled in English) He is a great guy, he had been having many problems with drinking and drugs and he did kill a guy like a year ago. He served time in prison, but he really is a great guy. He loves us so much and he loves it when we come over. 
 
The best was last Wednesday, we stopped by his house at like 8 and he had a huge grin on his face. We asked him how he had been and he proudly declared, "I have been sober for a week!" Wow! That was cool. We talked with him, shared a message and left. We went back Monday night. 2 weeks of being clean! Then Elder Savage had me commit him to baptism. He was so nervous. He didn´t think he was ready. We talked with him and said we would help him. We set his baptismal date for July 31. That´s close to dad´s birthday! He is so excited and he will be great! I love him.
 
Next, we have these two ladies. a mother who is in her 50s and her daughter who is in her late 20s. They LOVE us. We have taught them some lessons. They always give us food and the first time we went to their house, they kissd us on the cheek! (That´s what all Brazilians do, it´s their custom here) but we had to explain to them that we can´t do it. We all had a good laugh. But yesterday, we were meeting with them. We taught them the 10th commandment and then the daughter said she had a question, but not about the commandment. We asked about what. and she said... I´ve been reading O Livro De Mórmon, and I don´t understand about the tree of life. We were so happy! She had been reading! We explained to her about it and then we told her to keep reading. She said she had prayed about it! And that she had a dream the church was true! and she knew God had answered her prayers! and then she said she wanted to go to church. They are coming this sunday! It is great!
 
Next we are also teaching a family. The dad´s name is Caudio! (Claw-gee-oh) They are great! They are friends of the bishop. (here he is the Bispo) They love us so mucha and they are really getting involved, they haven´t been to church yet, but they will this weekend and they are loving the lessons. The first night was a family home evening with their family and the bishop´s family and we watched Junto Parasempre (together forever) and then the next time we taught them the message of the restoration. They committed to baptism. then the next time we taught about the plan of salvation. I love teaching that lesson because I love the look that the family gives each other when we tell them that families are ordained of God and we can be together forever in heaven with our families, Heavenly father, and Christ, as families forever. I wouldn´t trade it for the world.
 
This has been a great week! I am all out of time! I love you all and pray for you constantly. I am hitting my 3 month mark! See you all in almost 21 months!
Com amor,
Elder Askins

No comments:

Post a Comment